Chiang Mai University has launched the KHUM MAI X MAIAM exhibition held at Khum Chao Burirat (Maha-in) House, Lanna Architecture Centre, a spectacular historic building at the heart of the old city.
Khum Chao Burirat (Maha-in) House is approximately 130 years old. (Historical research reveals that it was built around 1886 – 1893, towards the end of King Rama V’s reign.) On March 9, 2001, Ms. Riangphan Thippayamonthon and Mr. Julathat Kittibut handed over the ownership to CMU and now it has been 20 years since CMU’s Faculty of Architecture was put in charge of the maintenance and management of the premise, and established the Lanna Architecture Centre that would serve as an important learning site for Lanna history and architecture in the city and region. The House itself offers complete knowledge about buildings from 130 years ago. The Faculty of Architecture has used modern insights in art and technology in combination with traditional Lanna craftsmanship to restore the building to its magnificent condition. The inside features a simulation of the life of Northern aristocrats in the past, Lanna temple and house architecture, and the House’s history. There is also a travelling exhibition titled, ‘Fluidity of Scenes’, which is a collaboration with MAIIAM Contemporary Art Museum. It blends in seamlessly with the House’s 130-year history and this collaboration also marks the beginning of building a museum network in the city of Chiang Mai.
CMU values cultural heritage, maintenance, and conservation for the benefits of future generations. This is in line with the university’s proactive strategy on ‘Creative Lanna’ that aims to consolidate the body of knowledge, promote cumulation, and reinforce the role as the centre of contemporary Lanna art and culture, which would lead to ongoing sustainability.